students empowering communities. communities empowering students.
What is Global Brigades at Indiana University?
Global brigades at IU (aka IUGB) is a chapter organization of the national 501c3 non-profit, Global Brigades. In its first year of existence in 2009-2010, IUGB took 93 students and 7 professionals to Honduras and Panama to work on public health, medical, business, and clean water projects. Alongside brigades from different parts of the country, we were able to accomplish the following:
- 16,771 patients provided with medical care
- 104 people benefited from public health projects
- 125 homes now had access to clean water
- 28 new savings accounts opened and 32 potential borrowers
- 50 members benefiting from a new sustainable structure helping their business
- 50 members provided with legal stability
- 200 members consulted on improving the efficiency and profitability of their business